For the second year the European Commission (DG CONNECT) and the Alliance for Internet of Thing Innovation (AIOTI) organise a technical workshop on Internet of Things (IoT) platforms and standards.
The workshop will bring together representatives from EU funded research projects and large scale pilots, European Public Private Partnerships (PPPs) and leading global standardisation organisations to discuss the latest news and trends around the topic. Starting point for the meeting will be the findings of last year’s workshop.
The development and adoption of global IoT standards is pivotal to support IoT products and services in scaling-up and to ensure the advancement of the Internet of Things technology. However, due to the broad range of standardisation activities around the world and the numerous IoT application domains, a proper coordination at EU level in this domain is essential.
This series of technical thematic workshops seeks on the one hand to inform the European IoT stakeholders about the international ongoing activities on IoT platforms and standards. Since last year’s workshop some major achievements have happened:
- The EU’s ongoing IoT Large-scale Pilots have made significant progress in defining a reference architecture for their platforms to effectively support their use cases and enable broader interoperability.
- Existing PPPs have teamed up their efforts to better address technical interoperability challenges, develop and adopt common standards
- The European research agenda has created a dedicated focus area on ‘Digitising and transforming European industry and services’ (budget of €1.689 billion) will foster a better integration and coordination of the efforts.
- The standardisation landscape has evolved and several joint coordination actions are on-going, while at the same time several draft technical standards have been produced which can significantly impact the IoT eco-system.
All above listed topics will be presented and discussed during the workshop.
On the other hand this workshop aims at supporting the coordination at EU level by bringing together key European players and representatives from leading standardisation organisations.
Relevant links and documents
- Link to the original announcement of the workshop on the European Commission website.
- The agenda [PDF] for the 2nd Internet of Things platforms and standardisation workshop.
- Overview of the 1st Internet of Things platforms and standardisation workshop including a presentation by OASC Chair, Martin Brynskov